Saturday, November 19, 2011

320kbps MP3 VS flac/ape, can ordinary human ear tell the difference?

I'm currently updating my MP3 library to higher bit rate. My speakers aren't very good but I can clearly tell the difference between 128kbps and 320kbps. I wonder if I can tell the difference between a 320kbps MP3 quality and lossless FLAC/APE quality even if I upgrade my speakers to one in the 150 dollars range. If human ears cannot tell the difference without some very expensive headphone or speakers, then there is no point for me to spend all the time to upgrade my collection to lossless format, isn't that right?





To put it short, I'd like to know if the difference in quality between a 320kbps MP3 file and a lossless FLAC/APE file is obvious or not to most people without a VERY good speaker/soundcard system.

320kbps MP3 VS flac/ape, can ordinary human ear tell the difference?
If you have great speakers and a highly tuned ear, you'll notice subtle differences between a 320kbps MP3 and a FLAC or APE file.





You will definitely notice a difference between 128kbps MP3 files and 320kbps MP3 files.





My suggestion would be to pick 6-10 songs, try them in each format and see if you can tell the difference. If you can't, don't bother changing your entire music collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment