Wednesday, July 14, 2010

MP3 file info......?

I am looking at MP3 players for the children for Christmas. I have problems with some of the lingo. If I copy my files that I currently have I need to know what the difference is. The files are on a CD and when I open them I get the Windows Media Player icon. Are these considered MP3’s? If not how do I convert them? Do I need to convert them? In the past I remember transferring files to a MP3 player with the Windows Media icon. But they seem to have taken up a lot of space on the player. Thus reducing the amount of music I could load on the player.

MP3 file info......?
Those are in WMA (Windows Media Audio) format, a proprietary compressed audio file format developed by Microsoft.





Like MP3, it's a way to compress files, but is far more effective. A song downloaded and stored in WMA format, in some cases, can take up only half the space that the same song would if you used the MP3 format - and it sounds just as good when at a bitrate of 128kp/s (near CD quality) or less.





The following guide shows, on average, how many songs/hours of music various players can store (based on average file size, approximately 4 minute song lengths and 128kb/s compression in WMA format):





Player Size / Songs / Hours


512MB / 125 / 4


1GB / 125 / 8


4GB / 250 / 16





Unlike MP3 files, WMA files can be copyright protected and come with licensing - meaning whne you get a WMA file, it's generally from a legal, legitimate source and is protected with certain rights.

cleaning dog teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment